THE Bureau of the Fire Department (BFP) reminded residents in Tacloban to take extra caution in using candles now that the city has no electricity.
The BFP reported that seven houses at the Siren District in the city were destroyed by fire early morning of Wednesday. The blaze was caused by a lighted candle that was left unattended.
The fire bureau pegged the damage to property to P400,000. No major injuries or death was reported.
Fire Senior Inspector Leonell Aurella said that Wednesday's incident was the first to be reported in Tacloban after the 6.5-magnitude earthquake that struck Leyte damaged power plants and caused blackouts in Eastern Visayas.
“When using candle, they must be conscious or they should use solar lamps or rechargeable lights to avoid fire incidents,” said Aurella.
Some of the residents affected by the fire are staying with their relatives. The City social welfare and disaster risk reduction council were told to assist the victims. (PNA)