SOLICITOR General Jose on Tuesday, February 13, said the Office of the Ombudsman has terminated the investigation into the plunder complaint filed against President Rodrigo Duterte.
“I received a letter from Carandang stating that the investigation has already been closed and terminated. The recommendation to terminate was approved by Deputy Ombudsman Cyril Ramos on 29 November 2017,” Calida said, referring to Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Arthur Carandang.
The Office of the Ombudsman has yet to confirm Calida's statement.
The said complaint against the President, filed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, stemmed from accusations that the President has undeclared bank accounts containing ill-gotten wealth amounting to millions of pesos.
Calida said Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales should have released this information, considering that the case involves the President. He noted that Morales held a press conference when the case was filed.
“Why are you withholding this information? When this case was filed, a press conference was even conducted. Three months after the termination of the case, the public has still no knowledge that the evidence supporting the allegations of Trillanes is without merit," the Solicitor General lamented.
Calida said the Senate should not look into the complaint that has already been "junked" by the Ombudsman.
“Knowing that this frivolous case was terminated by the Ombudsman, Senator Trillanes now seeks to have another Senate hearing on the matter to convince the public about his garbage junked by the Ombudsman,” Calida said.
“The Senate should stop this non-sense investigation," he added.
Trillanes filed a resolution last February 6 seeking a Senate inquiry into the Duterte family's bank accounts.
Duterte has previously denied having amassed unexplained wealth. (SunStar Philippines)