LIKE any woman, I always believe that it should be my man trying to make the first move whenever something is going bad. At times, I just feel like acting up because I want him to chase me, and do all the crazy stuff in the world just to prove his love.
There are even instances when I completely cut him off; block him on social media and my phones so that he becomes creative in finding ways to reach out.
I have consistently been like that. In our two decades together, I have practically been a brat, because he unceasingly gives in to my demands and weird ways of testing his love for me. Yes, you can call me pathetic.
However, things have slowly changed lately. I have realized that just like me, he has his own needs as well. Just like me, he likewise wants his partner to prove her love for him. I must do my share as well for our love journey to continuously flourish.
Below are some of the things which, I think, my man needs and deserves. I say some because I might have not listed here yet some other important stuff to the descendant of Adam.
Along with the realization of these needs, I could be on the right track already towards keeping him forever. Yes, stay away from him or I will transform to someone you do not expect me to become. (*sarcastic smile)
1. He needs some good vibes the moment he wakes up. If he is already your husband, greet him with your sweetest smile as soon as he opens his eyes. According to my husband, it perks him up whenever I am in a good mood to utter “good morning” together with a smile and a kiss.
If you are not yet husband and wife, you can actually do it virtually. Either via a video call or an SMS.
2. He needs to feel his worth. We often hear people say that men are naturally egotistic. Actually, a lot of women are also like that. Maybe, human as we are, we need to be appreciated for us to know that what we are doing are not put to waste.
Honestly, I am not so generous in giving him praises before. But, with the lengths he has gone through to keep our relationship, he surely deserves my appreciation.
Men have emotions, too. Therefore, no matter how little for you the thing he has done, appreciate it. Speak to him. Tell him that you love the effort he has put in it.
3. He also needs to hear the words you want to hear. While we demand to hear “I love you” from him for a number of times a day for us to feel secure, men do need that, too. They are not just vocal abot verbalizing that need because they might be thinking that it is not too masculine to do so.
In short, let us not wait for them to say those words first. We can do that, anyway.
4. Actions speak louder than words. Another common thought in showing love is the need to put it into action.
Personally, I love forehead kisses. I am likewise a certified cuddle addict! While I want these things from my husband all the time, I sometimes forget that he wants to be kissed and hugged as well. In fact, even holding his hand first while walking around the mall is something he appreciates a lot. As how my husband puts it, it makes him realize how proud I am to have him in my life.
5. He wants you to prepare his meal. When we got married, I never had the skills to keep me alive in the kitchen. As years go by, though, I started to learn how to cook, especially his favourite dish.
Well, I burned several dishes and threw away certain ingredients as I tried to acquire this new skill. I kept on practicing until I got the right technique and got satisfied with my finished product.
Right now, it has already been our family’s tradition to cook something special on weekends. I have also been experimenting my own menu based on what is left inside the ref.
6. He wants you to allow him to get cranky at times. We do have tantrums once in a while. Or, I must say, we, girls, have somehow perfected this skill already, right? LOL
Most often than not, when men are in a bad mood, we get mad instead of letting them be. Who said guys do not have the right to feel the same?
When you sense that his day might have been not so good, leave him alone for a while, then find the perfect timing to approach him. Be your sweetest, show him your most beautiful smile. Trust me, he can never resist that and he will flash his pearly whites in return. (That is how I pacify him, and I do that, too, whenever I need his nod to buy another dream bag. Shhhh... That is a secret! LOL)
7. He wants you to support him no matter happens. Life is never a bed of roses. It is not only happiness that exists in this world.
Whenever he feels down and weary, be there to support him. It was a mistake in the past when I had to point out to him why he failed in a manner that was not so constructive. I thought that through it, he would be motivated to do more. On the contrary, it did not work.
When I started to lift up his spirit no matter how bad the situation has become, he gets to build a stronger faith in himself; he achieves more.
Love is a two-way street. In my two decades living with my man, everyday has been a constant learning process.
Our love story is definitely not perfect. However, I can proudly say that it will always be my favourite one; not because it is ours, but because, we have managed to prove that despite life’s inauspicious surprises, our love will unceasingly be greater than anything in this world.
Happy Love Month, everyone!
If you have special events and fashion tips to share, or just want to discuss about any fashion-related concerns with me, you are always free to reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.