After Basyang: man dies; 1.6T evacuees return home

A 57-YEAR-OLD man from Alegria, Cebu was killed when tropical depression Basyang battered Cebu last Tuesday night.

Jenas Demecillo Allones, 57, a resident of Sitio Sangi in Barangay Madridejos, died after a coconut tree landed on his hut after strong winds toppled it.

In an interview, Julius Regner, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) information officer, said that Allones was sleeping inside his house at 11 p.m. when strong winds battered Alegria.

Unknown to Allones, a coconut tree outside his house was starting to give way. The tree pinned him.

Neighbors who rescued Allones immediately brought him to the St. Peter’s Hospital in Barangay Poblacion, but he died an hour after.

Regner said that Allones’ younger brother was supposed to be staying with him that night, but he reportedly went out with his relatives.

Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide II, in a separate interview, committed to provide assistance to Allones’ family.

Meanwhile, PDRRMO reported that around 1,655 evacuees in different towns in Cebu Province already returned home after the weather normalized.

More than 850 individuals stranded in ports across Cebu Province were also able to leave after the Coast Guard allowed passenger vessels to sail.

In Talisay, the City Government distributed food assistance to 1,000 families of fishers whose livelihood Basyang had suspended.

They were not able to go fishing for three days due to the bad weather.

The families, who are from Barangays Tangke, Cansojong, Poblacion, Biasong, and Pooc, each received three kilos of rice and canned goods.

Talisay City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management office head Alvin Santillana said that Basyang has not damaged any infrastructure or house in the city. There has also been no report of flooding or landslide.

As of yesterday, Basyang was moving toward the southern part of Palawan.

All storm signals in the Visayas were lifted by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration as of yesterday morning.

Signal No.1 remained in effect in the Calamian and Cuyo Group of Islands in Palawan. (JKV, USJ-R Intern Aubrey Rose Secuya)