BURNOUT is becoming a common problem for employees and students.
According to helpguide.org, burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress.
It occurs when one feels overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands. As the stress continues, one begins to lose the interest or motivation that led the person to take on a certain role in the first place.
Burnout reduces productivity and saps one’s energy, leaving one feeling increasingly helpless, hopeless, cynical, and resentful. Eventually, you may feel like you have nothing more to give.
Here are the signs and symptoms when one is experiencing burnout:
Physical signs and symptoms
• Feeling tired and drained most of the time
• Lowered immunity, getting sick a lot
• Frequent headaches or muscle pain
• Change in appetite or sleep habits
Emotional signs and symptoms
• Sense of failure and self-doubt
• Feeling helpless, trapped, and defeated
• Detachment, feeling alone in the world
• Loss of motivation
• Increasingly cynical and negative outlook
• Decreased satisfaction and sense of accomplishment
Behavioral signs and symptoms
• Withdrawing from responsibilities
• Isolating yourself from others
• Procrastinating, taking longer to get things done
• Using food, drugs, or alcohol to cope
• Taking out your frustrations on others
• Skipping work or coming to work late and leaving early
Burnout can lead to depression. But this can be prevented.
Here are some suggestions on how to prevent burnout:
N – nurture yourself (get a massage, a pedicure, go out with night with friends, sleep)
O – open up to your close family members and friends
M – manage your time to have a balanced life
O – organize an event or visit a shelter or a home for seniors
R – remove negative thoughts
E – exercise and eat healthy
B – built new friendships (join a club or a support group)
U – understand what your priorities are
R – rest, relax and reflect
N - nourish your skills and talents
O – offer your help to others
U – unplug from social media and turn off your phone
T – take time off (use your vacation leave).